Monday, February 25, 2013

Craft Fair 2012

2012 marked the third year I'd attended this annual craft fair with my mom and brought along my diaper cakes and baby gifts. In the years before, I brought the jewelry and accessories I made. I still bring them, but I try to focus more on my diaper cake items since they seem more popular an I enjoy making them more as well. I was ready with more inventory than I'd had in the past and was ready to go.

As it turned out, I didn't quite have the space for everything I brought with me. I tried to make do with what I had. Larger items were placed on display and smaller items filled in the small amounts left on the table. A few items just couldn't get placed out and I figured they would just come out and full empty space as items sold.

I was optimistic. Too optimistic, it seemed. I actually sold more of my other items than I did my baby gifts. My sister did purchase a buggy, but aside from that I returned with most of the inventory I arrived with. I was disappointed, but this is par for the course, so to speak. Diaper cakes do not sell well at craft fairs and it's not just mine. I had intended to make more small items in hopes of them selling better than the larger items, but I did not have room for everything and maybe I should have held back on the diaper cakes on the table. Live and learn. Perhaps next year I will try to bring some mini cakes and leave the larger ones at home. We will see.


I still enjoyed the time with my mom and sister and that's the real reason I go to this show anyway. Not that I wouldn't welcome more sales, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment