Saturday, August 28, 2010

My First Boy Cake - And It Comes With a Theme

My third cake proved to be a bit of a challenge. The mom-to-be was  friend from college that had thrown me one of my showers. She was expecting her second boy. The boy part isn't what got me. It was the fact that the baby was her second. Now, a lot of times showers are avoided altogether for a second baby, especially when it is the same gender as the first. But really, why turn down the opportunity to celebrate? Besides, every baby should be celebrated. Maybe it's just me.

In any case. It is a particular challenge for the second boy because I wanted to provide on the cake things that the mom would actually be able to use and items that were consumable. The diapers were obvious, but what else could I do? I settled on a bath themed cake because I figured bath products get used up. The problem was, those only ended up making up a small portion of the cake and I still had decorations to incorporate. So, maybe I was successful at duplicating some items she already had, but oh well.

So, again, rolled diapers created the tiers. Hooded towels were wrapped around the bottom and middle tiers. Two wash cloths made up the covering for the top tier. My topper was formed with three wash cloths, two blue and one yellow and tucked into a teether to resemble a flower. Yeah, it was for a boy, but hey, it was blue. Ribbon was tied around each of the layers. To finish off the cake and add some more color, I added three more wash cloths and of course, the essential bath products. The finished cake was, of course, shrink wrapped and tied it with a bow.

Over all, I think the cake looked great. I do wish I had been better at incorporating items that were consumable that maybe she wouldn't have left over to pass along from the older brother, but that's okay. With two boys, I hope she found use for all of the wash cloths!

No comments:

Post a Comment