Sunday, August 29, 2010

2-tiers for a Change

Shortly after moving into our new home, we learned that one of the neighbors was expecting. All I knew was that her baby was due at the end of December 2009. I received regular updates from her hubby about her condition as I, having recently been in the same position wanted to see how she was doing. I wanted to be neighborly, even though I'd never spoken to the expectant mom, and decided I'd make a cake for her. I did know she was expecting a boy.

Some time around January or February 2010, I heard news that she had the baby several weeks prior and decided I needed to get to work. I went ahead and gathered items for this diaper cake, boy socks, boy receiving blankets, etc. and planned it out. I was going for a sort of sporty look for this one even though there was no real theme to it.

I opted for new territory and made a 2-tier cake this time. Two striped receiving blankets covered the rolled diaper tiers. I chose a stuffed duck rattle for the topper. The topper did provide a bit of a challenge, as it didn't like to stay stable, but I finally figured out a way to keep it in place. Ribbon was wrapped around the layers and I finished it off with several pairs of socks. This cake was also shrink wrapped and tied with a bow for its final presentation.

I absolutely loved the striped receiving blankets which were purchased separately but coordinated beautifully. I also think that this cake was wrapped the smoothest of any that I'd made previously giving very clean finished lines. I was proud of the way this one turned out. As an added bonus, I finally got to meet the new mom and the new baby when I brought the cake to her and her husband!

No comments:

Post a Comment