Friday, August 27, 2010

Cake Number 2!

Not long after I created my first diaper cake, I had another to make. This one was for my brother and his wife who were expecting a baby in January. So, I put together a diaper cake for them and brought it with me when we traveled to the Dallas area for Christmas 2009.

I knew that my sister-in-law was planning to breastfeed, so I based this cake on that and decided to incorporate some items that are useful for breastfeeding like breast milk storage bottles, a microwavable steamer bag for sterilizing the bottles, and some lanolin - a must for breastfeeding moms.

They also decided to wait and be surprised as to the gender of the baby, so this cake had to be a gender neutral cake. I collected receiving blankets, burp cloths, and spoons to go along with the bottles and lanolin to create a feeding-time cake.


I rolled the diapers and started to stack the cake. This cake had receiving blankets on the bottom and middle tiers. A burp cloth covered the top tier. Two more burp cloths were draped on the middle and lower tiers. The bottles were added in place of some diapers within the tiers and positioned so they were visible - unfortunately, the bottles were wider than the diapers and made the cake a bit lopsided. I added baby spoons to the tiers and finished the tiers with ribbon. The tube of lanolin became my topper and the microwave steamer bag was hidden under the cake. The final touch was added by shrink wrapping the whole cake and tying the wrap with a bow.

I was happy with this cake; and (sorry to my BFF), I felt this turned out better than the first one. My only complaint is the misshapen appearance giving by the bottles. I think in the future incorporating bottles will have to be done differently. I have yet to add bottles to other cakes I have made, but this is largely due to cost. You wouldn't think it, but bottles can get expensive!

No comments:

Post a Comment